Monday, November 3, 2014

owegonnahavefun


First of all, my nail has now completely fallen off. And it's disgusting. Now I have this wrinkly, stub of a finger nail that's so gross that it's fascinating to look at. 

Anyway. 

It is such a privilege being back in Owego! Miracles happen everywhere and every day in the mission field, but I swear Owego is just the gold mine for miracles. 

I might also be partially biased because by the end of my mission I will have spent about 9-10 months here. 
Yay for coming back to the area you started your mission in!!

Let's just take a second and talk about how amazing our investigator family is. Yesterday at church, it was testimony meeting. The mom stood up and bore her testimony about how she knows this is the church of God, and how much this gospel has changed her life, and how the ward has basically become her family. She talked about how she went from having nothing, to having a family and hope. 
My companions and I all smiled at each other, and I turned to the district leader, who is serving in our ward and also would be in charge of doing the family’s baptismal interviews - and said, "So....does that count as her baptismal interview?" 
"No." 
"Dang it." 

Their baptism is still on schedule!

Now, once upon a time, we were working with a less active woman. Sister R and I tried and TRIED to get her to come to church, but she just WOULDN'T! Sisters have been meeting with her since, and we met with her this Saturday. 
She said yes to our invitation to church. 
"Okay, that means you'll have to wake up on time," we said. 
"I will!" 
"Okay. We'll call you in the morning." 
Sure enough, we called her, she answered and then.......SHE CAME TO CHURCH!
Miracles do happen, folks. Over a year in the making, and she finally came to church! 
Happy day. All is well.

Halloween was a lot of fun. We and the Elders in the ward spent it at the Bishop’s house. We had gotten permission from President to watch the Saratov Approach. 
So let's talk about how we got permission for that. 
President Wirthlin and the assistants came to our apartment to drop off a dresser for us so that I can actually unpack my suitcases and have somewhere to put everything since being emergency transferred. 
Yay for trios!
After President left, Sister C and Sister H and I were standing there and saying, "I swear there was something we wanted to ask President...oh! We need to ask him for permission to watch that movie!" 
"AH! HE'S LEAVING!" I yell, and I run full speed towards the door....and....
BAM. Completely biff it on our yoga mat. COMPLETELY. I fell, and slid towards the door. Still laying on the ground, I throw the door open and yell, "PRESIDEEEEEEEEEENT!" 
I stand up, and President runs back, with fear and panic in his eyes. 
I smile sheepishly, realizing that I probably sounded WAAAY more dramatic than I needed to be. I was just trying to be heard!
"Hey, buddy....so.....we were wondering if for Halloween we could---." 
His face completely relaxed, and if the man could roll his eyes, I'm pretty sure he would've as he said, "Yes." 
"What?" 
"The Elders already called about it. I approved it." 
And he walked away. 
"Okay....um.....THANKS!" 
My bum, arm, and back were sore for days after that fall. 
Worth it.

Our ward also had a Halloween party. I saw a less active member there that Sister R and I had worked with a year ago, but that the Elders are now working with. 

"You've been here forever!" he said when he saw me. 
"No I left and I came back--" I tried to explain, but before I fully could, he walked away and said to the Elders, "That sister's been here forever!" 
"Yeah she got transferred back--."
but before they could fully explain things, he walked away to his car and left the party.
The elders and I looked at each other, and shrugged. 

.....it's weird that things are coming to a close. 
I don't like it. 
I like being a missionary. 

Hurrah for Israel!


Sister Stimpson 

No comments:

Post a Comment