Monday, August 26, 2013

Owego...Owego...

The heightened ratio of crunchy leaves on the ground to yellowish leaves on the trees is frightening. 
Fall's a comin'. 
So not much to report on for this week, really! Kind of a weird and uneventful week. When I first came to the mission, Sister R said to me, "Now there will be a day when ALL of your appointments cancel. And that will be the worst day ever."
That day was Wednesday. 
Even our service project canceled! Even our BACKUP plans canceled! We were so desperate we went to an elderly couple's house in the ward to do service! And then they talked to us while we moved a table around and then they gave us ice cream. Then talked some more. 

Actually a lot of this week has been focused on the ward. OH. GUESS WHAT I DID THURSDAY. STACKED HAY. Like I had a pitchfork and everything. We'd rake up a big ol' nasty stack of hay and toss it in the truck. 

And I realized how weak I am. 

So I stab this huge pile and I'm lumping on over to the truck, struggling to hold it, when the member we were doing it for shouts, "COME ON! USE THOSE MUSCLES YOUR IRISH ANCESTORS GAVE YOU!" 

My giggling caused a few hay pieces to fall. 

We also helped with construction on a house. I insulated an attic door! Best thing ever!  Oh and we raked up a ton of rocks and helped place grass seed. Apparently it only takes two weeks for grass to grow here. 

New York, man. 

Speaking of New York, one of the first things I noticed when I got here was the amount of random stuff people leave in their yard. So we're walking to the car one day, and someone left a really old sewing machine and a really old paper towel dispenser on the sidewalk with a sign that said "free." Now a lady in the ward loves sewing and repairs old sewing machines for a job. 

"Man wouldn't that be funny if we grabbed that for her?" I said. 
"Oh man that'd be hilarious!"
...........
Two minutes later I'm risking my dignity by running to the car with a huge sewing machine in tow. 

Okay, okay I'm a missionary. Missionary moments now. 

Tuesday we visited with our new convert. She's doing okay, and I know she'll come around, but it'll be a process. I'm still sad, but things will smooth out. I just wish I knew how to help her. 

We visited another family on Thursday as well! She got choked up and thanked us for all we do. She said she was planning on coming to church since her daughter got Sundays off of work!

Our other investigator also came to a ward game night and that was a lot of fun! She met some of the ward members and Sister R and I were the judges for a cupcake decorating contest. 
But we didn't get to eat all of the cupcakes :( We just judged them. 
Anyway, she said she'd be at church on Sunday.
(Also the Elders and us played the game PIT with all the little kids in the ward. That was fun. Except we got really loud so at one point Elder J goes, "Oh man! You know what game I love? THE QUIET GAME!" And it worked. Really, really well, actually.)

Anyway.
So guess out of all of those who came to church!
NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM. 

Well folks. I'm loving Owego, which is unfortunate BECAUSE TRANSFER CALLS ARE ON SATURDAY! The Elders and us ALL want to stay, so we're all wondering what's happening. It'll be an adventure, that's for sure. SO. For mail, be sure to send it to the PO box address in case I'm transferred :)

I love you all! Hopefully next week will be a bit more eventful. 

Milla

No comments:

Post a Comment