Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Unable to come up with clever title


THIS WEEK WAS SO DISCOURAGING! I'll be straight up with ya there. I'm pretty sure I'm the worst missionary ever! Can't talk with people to save my life. NEVER know what to say! Nope. Almost wish I was learning Russian so then I had an excuse for not being able to say anything.
 
Ha that's a good joke. I'm so glad I'm not learning Russian.

We met with our investigator and she swore she'd be at church this Sunday AND THEN SHE WASN'T. So we're all like, "Awesome." we'll probably have to push back her baptismal date, which I feel SOOOO bad for, because she wanted to get baptized during this transfer so that we could both be here for it, but if we baptized her now she just wouldn't be active! And let me tell you. The more less actives I meet with, the more I want to make SURE our investigators stay active! So then our new convert didn't come. We're not really sure why. Usually she's just sick when she doesn't come but I'm still paranoid. 
BUT. We did have a few cool experiences! So I've mentioned a little bit about this family before, but we had kind of a cool experience with them this week. The ward referred us to this family who is less active, but the mom has an AMAZING testimony, and they want her back! Mostly, she can't go because she's usually watching her granddaughter while her daughter is at work and she isn't healthy enough to chase the daughter down at church when she runs away. SO. In the beginning, we went over to visit with the grandma, and we did! But she introduced us to her daughter, who has the granddaughter that our person watches. Make sense? After our initial visit, The daughter set up a time with us to meet with her husband, who isn't a member. We've met with him a couple times, but there were a few times when we'd go over, and visit with the daughter instead. 

Anyway.

Thursday came, and we went to visit our person. Well we show up, and she's watching a movie with her other daughter and was like, "Oh, go visit with my daughter, why don't you? Or her husband!" 
Okay. So we're like, "We'll see how the husband is!" (He wants to work towards being baptized.) We go to the daughter and she's like, "He's actually asleep. But hey, do you want some grilled cheese sandwiches?" 

Can't refuse a good sandwich. 

We eat, but the house was SO. LOUD. So she goes, "Um, let's go talk outside. He will be down soon."

So we sit outside and are talking to her, and then she's like, "So...I was on youtube yesterday..." and it turns out she got ahold of some pretty bad anti-mormon stuff and she was concerned about it. We were able to address some of her concerns, when her husband showed up. He sat down, but we weren't really finished talked to the wife, so we're like, "Well...what other concerns do you have?" we ended up spending a lot of time talking to her and addressing some concerns she had about her faith!

It turned out to be an AMAZING lesson!

She came to church Sunday with her daughter - the grandma had to go out of town - but she was so social and saw a lot of her friends. I hope she'll be able to get Sundays off in the future and that she'll keep coming!
We had a women's conference in Utica this week! We talked a lot about obedience (the first law of heaven) and we saw a leaf bug! It was a lot of fun to see all the girls I went in the MTC with, oh and I saw a Sister I knew from high school! So that was a fun activity. Spirit was awesome. We also learned how to lead music and the pencil I was using flung out of my hands. Embarrassing. 
Last story - Tuesday at district meeting, it was car inspections. We had four Elders all hovering around the hood of the car pretending like they knew what they were doing. In reality, they were all pit puttering around the hood tilting their head this way and that looking for the power steering. Well Sister R and I joined them and stared at the hood as well. Sister R pretended like she too knew what she was looking at, and I made stupid comments to make the boys feel better abound themselves like, "That's the thing that shoots out the window cleaner thing. I filled that once!" Finally, after about ten minutes of staring at random things, we finally got out the owner's manual and discovered that....our car doesn't actually have power steering. I think that's what we were looking for. Whatever it was our car didn't have it. And I didn't fall for the, "Will you check the blinker fluid?" trick. Nope! So I do know stuff about cars. 
I love you all so much! Also fall is starting to come to NY. I saw a crunchy leaf on the ground. Say whaaaaat? 
Hurrah for Israel! 
Love, 
Sister Sssssssssssssssssssss


No comments:

Post a Comment