Monday, August 19, 2013

I find subject titles USELESS‏ (Okay, that was her subject line for the email--so it's now the title for this blog entry)

What a week it's been. Missionary work is HARD, man. 

We had exchanges this week and I stayed in Owego while our Sister Training Leader spent the day with me. It was a great day and we got to teach our less active member, along with a Baptist lady. So after I got Sister R back, we're in our apartment when we get a call from our recent convert. 

I say hello, to which she says, "I can't do this anymore. I'm done." 

I am so grateful for companionships because I felt so sick I couldn't speak. I couldn't stand. I just sat there like a gaping fish. 

We talked to her a little on the phone, and she wouldn't change her opinions, but she agreed to keep our appointment for that week. We took Brother C with us, and were able to talk to her. I want to say the appointment was effective. I'm TRYING to convince myself that. She at least agreed to continue to have us over so that we can discuss some concerns she has about some of the aspects of the gospel. But she didn't come to church on Sunday and it was ROUGH. SO many ward members were coming up to us asking what was wrong, and why wasn't she here? How on earth do I explain this to them?

Mostly I was disappointed in myself. From the beginning I was DETERMINED to make sure my investigators would stay active even after they're baptized. And now here I am, and my recent convert has already pushed the church away. It's like someone punched me in the gut. Sunday was SO hard! I felt (and still kind of feel like but am trying not to feel like) I let this ward down. This is an AMAZING ward and I didn't want to burden them. 

So that was the low point of the week. Missionary work, man. Sunday was also not that fantastic of a day, because we were expecting another person as well! There was a BIG stake activity on Saturday that she came to with us. It was awesome, actually - the night before we were really struggling to find anyone to come with us, when she texted us asking if we wanted a ride to it. Um, YES! She brought her daughter and had a great time with us, the Elders, the bishop's family, and some other investigators from various areas who came. It was awesome! She told everyone she'd see them at church!.....

Then she didn't come. 
Sunday wasn't completely horrible, though! Our other investigator and her granddaughter came. So, we had a baptism date set for this investigator, right? We were really struggling because we knew we had to push that date back. After this whole other fiasco, we're even more determined to make sure she will stay active after we go. 

So Thursday comes and we go to her house and sit down on her couch, all prepared to tell her that we're going to have to push back her date, when she whips out a picture of her redheaded granddaughter and hands it to me saying, "That's my granddaughter. She reminds me a lot of you, Sister S. I know even after you'll leave I'll ALWAYS think of you whenever I see her. And that prayer rock the two of you gave me? It was the best thing you ever could've given me! I always remember to say my prayers, and I just told my husband that when I die, I want to be buried with that rock.  I'm REALLY going to miss you girls when you leave." 

I was about ready to leap out the window. This woman who has touched my heart from the first day we met her has now shown me that we actually DO leave impressions in people's lives. Oh man. I was dying. How could I tell her we had to move her baptismal date?

Again, I'm grateful for companionships, because Sister R explained that she needs to attend church both before and after baptism to make sure she'll be active even after we leave. Her response, "Okay. I was actually thinking that I'm not sure I'm ready quite yet." 
So, we moved the baptism date to September 28th. I'm excited, but at the same time kind of nervous. After this last baptism, I want to be sure she'll stay active. Hopefully our meetings will continue to go well. But it just really showed me how much of an impression we do leave in people's lives. I seriously had NO idea. 

She came to church Sunday, and we hope she'll keep coming. After church, Sister R and I felt kind of down. We went to a less active member's house and visited with her for about forty-five minutes. We were still feeling blah and had an hour until our dinner appointment that was in the area. So we were like, "Well guess we can go tracting."

We found this random country road on the top of a hill with a BEAUTIFUL view. We knock on the first door and introduce ourselves and give a little spiel. The man politely listened then said, "You know, I'm actually a minister at my own church--." 

I'm pretty sure he thought I was insane cause I burst out laughing right there and couldn't stop. I can't even tell you why it was so funny, but it was! He said he'd pray for us and he appreciated what we were doing. 

Next house. HUGE dog was barking at us, then a man answers. I say, "We're missionaries---." 
"Uh, yeah I'm actually a retired minister. My father was a minister, my grandfather was a minister, so we're pretty set in our ways." "Oh...well....That's great!" And we went on our merry ways. 

Next house. I knew this one wasn't gonna be too good, because there was a big ol' cross in the window. But we tried it anyway. An older lady answered and we talked to her about the flowers, about fall, then we introduce ourselves and she says, "Oh my husband is actually a pastor and I'm pretty set in my religion. I do appreciate the work you girls do though! I know you'll find someone. I'll keep you in my prayers that you'll be able to find someone." 
Oh well.....gee thanks! It was awesome. 

Next house. Guy answers. He too wasn't interested (went to the church down the street) but he said, "Appreciate your guys's work, though. You'll find someone. Good luck."

Best. Tracting. Ever. No joke, though. 

So then we go to our dinner appointment. We're currently teaching one of their friends, and the wife of the dinner appointment came with us to teach their friends after dinner. It went AWESOME! The lady with us is a returned missionary AND she's their friend, so we were able to have a great discussion with them! The spirit was so strong as we taught about the restoration and Joseph Smith. At the end, as we were leaving, the husband said, "I appreciate you girls. You're a blessing to me, and I REALLY mean that, you know that."

That was a great ending to our Sunday. We hope they continue to want to learn and progress. I love my mission so much, but sometimes I wish I were doing better than I am. But hey, I'm trying. 

Fun stories - our downstairs neighbor gave me a plant. I named it Aaragog after the spider on Harry Potter. We'll see how long it lives. 

We got yarn and decided to roll it up in a ball. I thought it'd be a great idea to unroll it all before we rolled it in a ball! It ended up getting incredably tangled and we had to spread it ALL throughout the apartment to untangle it. Our closets, kitchen, bathroom...seriously. Good story though. 

Well, this week should be a good one. I love and miss you all so much! Your letters/emails are always really helpful to me. I hope you realize that!

Hurrah for Israel. 

Camilla. 

No comments:

Post a Comment