Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A series of unexpected events

A lot of unexpected, some sad and some exciting, changes occurred this week. 

Last Monday was day 4 of Sister N's migraine, and a ward member ordered an MRI for her.

Tuesday was zone training meetings. Was that seriously Tuesday? It feels so long ago. We were able to watch the movie Meet the Mormons, and although it was an amazing meeting, Sister N's migraine grew to be even worse. 

Wednesday she was in even worse condition. I woke up and it became clear she wouldn't be able to work that day. After exercising, I began setting it up where I could go with a member and Sister N could stay at another member’s home. I called about three members, and woke each one up. 
"What on earth? Why am I waking everyone up?" 
I look at the clock. 
7:15 a.m. 
"Oops." 

The results from the MRI came back on Wednesday. They were clear. 
"I may have to go home,

" said Sister N, and immediately this peaceful sadness filled me. 
I knew right then that that's what was going to happen. 

Wednesday evening we went to the instant care to try the last thing she hadn't yet tried, and that was a shot. It was supposed to help it within 20 minutes, but no luck. 

Thursday morning, we knew Sister N was going home. She called Sister Wirthlin, and the arrangements began to be made. We would get a call from President Wirthlin later that day telling us what would happen to me, and when Sister N would be leaving. 

And as soon as she made that decision, all the stress, all the fear, all the anxiety I had been experiencing melted away. Both of us knew this is what needed to happen. 

Sister N began packing right away. I began pit puttering around, in denial about the fact that I could possibly be leaving Elmira. 

Finally, the cell phone rang. 

"We've arranged the tickets and Sister N, you will be leaving tomorrow morning. Be to the Elmira airport at 10:00 a.m." said President Wirthlin. "Sister Stimpson, you will be going to Owego with Sister R and Sister C. They will meet you at the airport to pick you up." 
........"Wait, hold up. So you're saying I'll be spending the rest of the transfer there?" 
"Yup."
"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!" 
"I knew you'd scream." said President. 
Other people’s reactions? 
"Oh I bet you freaked out when he told you." – Elder S
"You should be excited. You were squealing the whole way to zone training meeting." – Other Elder S

Sister N and I went to go say goodbye to the ward mission leader and another family in the ward. 
And that's when the tears came....from both of us. 
The next morning I just felt sad. I felt at peace that this is what was supposed to happen, but I felt so sad. 
"You'll have fun," the zone leaders reassured me as they drove us to the airport. 
"I know. But it doesn't make it any easier." 
We got to the airport, and said goodbye to Sister N. Then I went to Owego. 
And the rest. Was. Hilarious. 

First of all, it feels like I've never left.  Saratoga almost seems like a dream that I KNOW happened but I can't believe it did. 
People’s reactions were also priceless. 
The first person I saw who knew me was our landlord. 
We stared at each other. 
"I'm Sister Stimpson." I said. 
We shook hands. 
Then he introduced himself. 
"I know. I was here a year ago." 
"I know. You cut your hair short." 
"I did." 
"Looks nice." 
"Thanks." 
"Did you write me that sweet thank you note?" he asked. 
I thought back, remember that I had thought about writing a thank you note, but I didn't think I actually did it. 
"I think you did," he said. "Thank you for that. It was very sweet. I am glad I got to see you again so I could thank you. We really appreciated that." 
"Yeah.....you're welcome." 
He left, and I turned to Sister C. 
"That was Sister A. who wrote the note," said Sister C. 
"Yeah I was gonna say..."

The next morning, we saw the landlord’s husband. His reaction? He began to jump up and down, clap and chant, "You're back! You're back! You're back!" 
Our neighbors’ reaction?
"I THOUGHT I recognized your laugh! I woke up to it this morning!"
"Oh, shoot. I am SO sorry!" I apologized. 

We went and had a lesson with one of my first converts. Her first reaction? She hugged me and told me she loved me :) 
Also had a dinner appointment with Sister Cox. Basically I tackled her in a hug and almost knocked her over. 
The bishop’s family also came to say hi to us. The Bishop gave me a hand hug. 

And Sunday was just downright hilarious. 

The morning consisted of us going to ward council, then to choir practice. 
We walk into Ward Council. 
"Sister Stimpson?" 
"What on earth?" 
"You're back? That never happens." 
Then I walked into the chapel, and to sum up: 
4 people thought I had come home from my mission and was just visiting, even AFTER they announced at church that I was joining the sisters until the end of the month.
2 people didn't even register that I had even left. They were just so used to seeing me. 
And the pattern for everyone else’s facial expression goes from confused, to shocked realization, back to confused. 
And although I had a series of various conversations, I mostly just gave the same reply to everyone: 

"Sister Stimpson? What are you doing here?" 
"My companion went home sick. I'm here at least until the end of the month."
"Well, it's good to have you back!" 
"It's good to be back." 

"Hi, [insert name here.]." 
"Hello........SISTER STIMPSON?" 

"Well you still look like a missionary!" 
"It's ‘cause I still am a missionary." 
"So are you going to school now or what?" 
"No, I don't go home until December. I'm still on my mission." 
"WHAT? WHY ARE YOU HERE?" 
"My companion got sick and I'm here until the end of the month." 
"That never happens!" 
"I know." 

"I remember you!" 
"I remember you, too!" 
"You're Sister Stimpson!" 
"You're [insert name here.]"
"You're back!" 
"I am." 


Basically, it's been a blast. Yes, it has been hard to leave Elmira, but I feel so at peace knowing that this is the Lord's plan and this is what I need to do at this time. 

I'm really curious what's going to happen my last few weeks of the mission. 

I love you all! 

Hurrah for Israel!

Sista Stimpson

No comments:

Post a Comment