Wednesday, July 23, 2014

tourists


I dislike tourist season in Saratoga.
Pedestrians everywhere.

Cars everywhere.

Zero parking spots.

I have a feeling I'm not in Owego anymore...

We saw a serious miracle this week. Our thirteen-year old investigator who we lost contact with soon after she got baptized texted us out of NOWHERE on Wednesday morning.

Text: "Hey. I want to meet with you guys. I'm available at 11. Here's the address I'll be at."

I literally screamed and threw the phone up in the air.

But there was one problem:

We had district meeting (a meeting with other missionaries in our area) at 11.

I grabbed the phone off the ground and called Elder G, our district leader.

"Hey, Elder G. It's Sister Stimpson."
"Hey, Sister Stimpson! How are---."
"Heysoonceuponatimeoneofourrecentconvertswhowehaven'thadanycontactwithtextedusandsaidshecouldmeetwithustodayat11."
"What....?"
I explained the situation, only slower this time.
"District meeting is at 11, though," he said.
"I know. So, we'll probably 15-20 minutes late....maybe 30 minutes...."
"Hmmm. Well I don't know the whole situation, but we'll just start District Meeting 30 minutes later instead. How's that?"
"REALLY?!"
"Sure."
"ARE YOU SERIOUS?!"
"Yeah."
"YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND! OH MY GOSH. ELDER G, MY DAY HAS BEEN MADE. I AM SO GIVING YOU A CYBER HUG RIGHT NOW!"
"Oh, thanks, Sister Stimpsn!"
"No, wait. That's inappropriate. I'm giving you a cyber handshake."
"Oh, well thanks!"
"okaywegottagoseeyousoonbye."

I hung up, and we ran to the address she had given us.
And as soon as I saw her, I tackled her in a huge hug.

"I was so worried I wouldn't know either of you guys!" she said, as we hugged her, "I knew you guys switched out, so I was worried it would just be two random sisters!"

We talked some more, then I asked what she would like help with.
"I left my scriptures at home, and I really, really want to study them. Is there a way I can get them? I'm worried they might be lost..."
"We have an extra quad in our trunk. We can give it to you, and see if we can find the ones the ward gave you in the mean time."

We could only visit for a short bit, but it was so, so great to see her! She says she's in between houses for now, so she isn't sure when or how often she can meet, but it's so good to at least be in touch with her.

Our other investigator also called us this week! One of this coworkers quit, and he's applying to take her shift. If he gets it, then he'd have Sunday's off permanently!!! He came to church yesterday in a classy white shirt and tie, and got a lot of compliments on it.
....we may have to push back his baptismal date depending on if he can find a place to move before his baptism.....
which means I'll miss his, and both of our young adults' baptisms.

I'm only a little (lot) unhappy about this.

I told the zone leaders I should stay for 6 transfers. You know what they did?
They laughed.
"Guys! Stop laughing!"
"Sister Stimpson, I think the likelihood of staying 6 transfers is about as likely as you getting push scooters," they told us.
"WE'RE FINALLY GETTING PUSH SCOOTERS?"
"No."





Good thing transfer calls aren't for another two weeks. I'll live it up in the mean time.

We also went on exchanges, and I was in another area for three days.
You know what the main outcome of this was?
A hivey, sunburnt, mosquito-bitten sister Stimpson.
Now, let's flash back to a transfer ago to Mission Leadership Council.
President Wirthlin: "Hats are NOT allowed unless for a medical purpose. And I don't think there's anymore of those left in our mission, I think they've all gone home..."
Sister Wirthlin: "President, we have one sitting with us with a sun allergy right now! Sister Stimpson!"
"Hey....." was the only response I could think of.
"What kind of hat do you wear?" asked President.
"I....um.....haven't been."
"I'm going to tell your mother!" said Sister Wirthlin.
"Eh, go for it."
Now let's forward to today:
I'm buying a hat.

Well, I must write the President. Sorry this letter is so lame.

I love you all!

Hurrah for Israel.

Sista' Stimpson

No comments:

Post a Comment