Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Transfer one, week one


The first week of the transfer ALWAYS goes by so slow. And this week was no exception. Like seriously. Last Monday feels like FOREVER agooooo.

But it has been a good week! Last Monday, we went and visited with a former investigator. She's 17, and when we knock on the door, we're like, "Hey! We're the missionaries----."
"Oh hey." And she shakes our hands and invites us into her house. We sit down and she's like, "Yeah my dad's family are all members, but I haven't been baptized yet. I actually am meeting with the Bishop tomorrow."
"........huh?" I ask.
"I need an ecclesiastical endorsement."
".......what?" I repeat.
"I'm applying to BYU. Though my dad really want's me to go to BYU-I."
"......OH!"
Basically most of her family are all members, but she hasn't joined. She told us how she can feel the spirit when she goes to her dad's house, and when she goes to church, but she just wants to make sure she's doing it for her, and not for her dad. But still! She said she wants to start meeting with missionaries again about once a week and is open to taking the discussions. She is SO cool and I adore her!

We also had zone conference this week! I totally saw Elder Taylor [from high school]. And we may or may not have accidentally called each other by our first names at one point. It was weird. Like I forgot my first name was Camilla and then he accidentally called me that. And then we were like, "Oops......well we just won't tell President."
At one point when I was talking to Elder Taylor, I hear, "Sister Stimpson!"
I turn around and who do I see? Elder C. And I was like, "Oh....Hey!"
And what did we do?
We had a legit, polite conversation about life. It was amazing. Later I was taking pictures with some people and after doing so, I heard him call my name again. I turn around he's leaving, and saluted to me. I was taken aback. Did Elder C just go out of his way to say hello AND goodbye to me? Strange. I didn't know how to respond, so I saluted back and said, "Live....long and....um....." then he left the room so I shouted, "PROSPER!"

Yes I know it was weird. But in my defense I was taken aback!

President also went on not one, but TWO random tangents during our zone conference about getting married.
"Do not delay getting married! And when the right person comes along, DON'T lose them! Okay? And before you're married, go on a vacation with your fiance. Go camping or something! That way you can really see what they're like. And remember that a temple marriage is the most important thing you can strive for!"
....did President just tell us to go on vacation with our fiance?
 And at the end of both tangents he said, "But you're missionaries! So you shouldn't be worrying about that anyway!"
Thanks, Pres.

OH MY GOODNESS I KEEP FORGETTING TO TELL YOU! We have a baptism this Saturday for our 13-year-old investigator. She is INCREDIBLE. She comes from an unstable home and wants peace and stability SO bad. I know the gospel can bring that to her life, but it's hard when things around her are so unstable. She was feeling incredibly sad at our last lesson with her. It broke my heart to see her so hurt. She felt so overwhelmed with everything. I was seriously about to cry right there for her, but instead I gave her a picture of Christ with our number on the back and told her to remember that He loves her so much and is always watching over her, and to call us if she needed anything.
Then Sister H and I went to the car and we both cried. It was so sad :'(
Basically all of Saratoga is composed of two kinds of families: A) Rich, well off, stable homes that live in huge mansions or B) unstable, broken homes filled with drugs. There's very little middle ground in this area.

Just kind of shows me how much Satan is attacking the family.

Not much else to report on this week. We volunteered at the soup kitchen where we had three old, mentally unstable guys hit on us. That was flattering.

This ward is awesome, although I literally have NO idea how I'm going to learn who everyone is! I was getting to the point in Owego where I could tell who was at church by what cars were in the parking lot. Then I come here and it's like, WOAH. What stake event is going on?

Oh, no. This ward is just big.

Welp. Looks like I'm short on time again. Remember I love you all! And that the church is true!

Hurrah For Israel,
Sista' Stimpson

No comments:

Post a Comment