Monday, November 18, 2013

I really hate comping up with subject titles.

Happy Happy Preparation Day!

And guess what!

Transfers are coming up. This Saturday we get our calls, and Wednesday, the DAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING, is the day everyone's moving. 

So Sister R and I basically have no clue what's gonna happen. Basically we've been warning people for the past three transfers that one of us might be moving and now we're like, "......meh maybe we'll break the mission record and stay together a fifth transfer." 

So who knows. 

I would remind y'all to send mail to me at the PO box address and not the Owego address, but hey, seeing's as I may never leave Owego, I don't think it's that big of a deal. 

I want to spend Christmas at the Cox's. 

Anyway. Let's get down to business. 
I have nothing of vast significance to report. Kinda. 

We have a new investigator!  She's so great. We talked to her when she was moving in, and she told us that one of her good friends is Mormon and that she wanted us to come by! So we did, and we sit down and she starts talking to us and said, "I've never met a Mormon I didn't like. I LOVE your guys's values system! I think if everyone was Mormon the world would be a MUCH better place!" 
SWEET. 
She's going through a divorce right now, and is pretty heartbroken. She agreed to take the lessons, though she told us she's a strict Catholic, but open to hearing us. Sadly she'll only be here until Christmas, then she'll be gone for a month, and then she's leaving after six months. BUT STILL. I'm excited to teach her!

ALSO ALSO ALSO ALSO: GO TO www.facebook.com/HolidayShowcaseOwego and find my picture. 
Oh what picture, you might ask? Well Sister R and I are walkin down the street and this photographer comes up and is like, "Oh you ladies HAVE to get framed!" 
Me: "OKAY!" ....what did I just agree to exactly?
Don't worry, it wasn't bad. They just had us hold a frame up to our faces that was advertising Owego, and said it'd be on facebook. 
I can't see it :( Find it for me? 

So we had an ...interesting... experience this week. Our landlord was redoing the tile in our bathroom and we came home to eat lunch while he was doing this. So he starts talking to us and told us about how he borrowed an audio version of the Book of Mormon from the Elders a while ago, and listened to, "The whole first book of Nehi!" but that he "didn't get to the Joseph Smith part of the book." 
The following is his retelling of the book of Nephi. all while standing there in his gray sweats, a black belly shirt, and uncombed, black hair that's shaved on the side: 
"So....who was the really, really bad dude in the beginning who was like....killing all of them?" 
"....Laban?" 
"Yeah, Laban! And oh my gosh! Did Nehi's and his dad have to leave because this city was........."
"It was going to be destroyed."
"Yeah! And but they had to go BACK to the city to get their stuff! I remember how Nehi and like....other people went to go get their stuff from Laban, and Nehi's friends went back to buy their stuff back, and Laban just tried to kill them! Then they were chicken, but Nehi was like, "No I'm gonna go buy our stuff back," and he did! And then didn't they travel around in a desert and find like, an oasis?" 
"Um....they traveled to America?" 
"okay, yeah!" 
Our landlord's listened to more of the Book of Mormon than some of our investigators. 
We tried to explain where Joseph Smith came into all this....but I don't think he really got it. He went back to tiling. 

Hmmmm well I'll end with one more cool missionary story. NO WAIT TWO MORE!
Okay so first, we brought a member with us to a less active member's lesson. Now I was super nervous about this, because I know some people in the ward have really bugged this woman, but she and the member TOTALLY hit it off! And they exchanged numbers, too! and I was like WOAH! 
Best. Day. Ever. 

We also went and tried a girl we met before. We found her while tracting, and her house was the ONLY house that answered. She lived on this really winding, dirt road in the middle of nowhere. The first couple times we tried her, she was super busy, but this time, she let us in. We talked to her for a bit, and asked if she'd be interested in taking the lessons. She said, "Yes, but it's more a matter of WHEN! I don't really have time....but I've been looking at religions lately. I want my son to get baptized. But again, it's a matter of me having time first!" 
We gave her a Book of Mormon, a mormon.org card, and our number. She was SO sweet! It was one of those instances where we recognized she probably isn't ready to accept the gospel quite yet, but she's getting there! And we left on good terms so maybe in a few months....who knows!

Well my familia and friendsey, the church is true! I love being a missionary and am SO grateful to have this wonderful, true gospel in my life!

Hurrah for Israel, 
Sista Stimpson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment