Monday, July 8, 2013

Happy Fourth! -- Kind of



Hello familia!
I am absolutely loving New York :) Except the humidity. I still don't like the humidity. But this week was a lot more busy than last, thankfully!
  
We'll start with this lady we decided to visit.  She has three donkeys, three cats, and a bunch of chickens. She lives in the middle of nowhere but she says it's still too close to civilization. So we visit her, and she's showing us her donkeys. As I'm petting one, we have this conversation: 
Me: "So how long have you had these mules?"
Her: "THEY'RE DONKEYS."
Me: "Ah!" *I literally jumped* "Sorry! Donkeys! How long have you had the donkeys?" 
Her: "....are you a city girl?" 
Me: "Yeah, I am." 
Her: *pats me on the shoulder* "You poor thing." 

Won't make that mistake twice. Still don't know if she ever told me how long she had had the mules...er...donkeys. 
  

Now we'll backtrack for a second. Our investigator set a baptismal date for August 3rd! We were SUPER excited!
So then Sunday comes.
Oh, Sundays. The best and worst day of the week. 

One of our investigators came with her niece to church. We gave her a tour and showed her around. We show them around the church, then sit in the chapel. Church it about to start, when who walks in?
The lady with the animals. 
Woah.
She gave us a BIG bear hug and sat down next to one of her friends in front of us.
Guess who didn't come. 
Our investigator with the baptismal date. 
So Sister R and I are like, "Oh no. NOOOOOOOO."
But church was GREAT other than that. It was awesome. 
Anyway, so Sister R and I run over to our investigator's house to make sure she's okay. And she lets us in and says, "Oh yeah I was just feeling really sick! I was so sad I wasn't able to make it to church. Thanks for stopping by!"
Phew. 
So things are continuing to go well with her, and I hope they continue to! It's weird how much my love for others has really grown since I've come on my mission, and I absolutely love all the people I have met here!
Anyway, things are good here in Owego. I absolutely love my mission. And there are bunnies everywhere! And deer! 
Hurrah for Israel ;)
-Sister Stimpson

ps - The other day we were eating at a investigator's house. She gave us her homegrown fruit, homemade bread, homemade something wrapped in a homegrown leaf. Then I look outside, and I see the mail lady delivering things by HAND. AND the newspaper boy walking around with a big old fashioned bag. I'm like, "I FEEL LIKE I'M LIVING IN THE 1920'S OR SOMETHING." It's awesome!
The end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment