Monday, July 7, 2014

Happy 4th



So we carpooled to Utica for mission leadership council on the 3rd, and all the Sister Training Leaders went out for dinner while the zone leaders had a meeting. As I sat in Panera eating a delicious flat bread sandwich, the Harry Potter theme song popped into my head. I sighed and said, "Ah man, I hate when distracting songs get stuck in my head."

"Which song?" asked Sister B.

"The Harry Potter Theme."

"Oh. Sing 'I'm trying to be like Jesus' to the tune of the Harry Potter theme. It fits perfectly."

I stared at her, stared at my flat bread sandwich, then looked back up at her, and began to sing it silently to myself.

Yup. It fits quite well if I do say so myself.  

Then I continued to eat my flat bread sandwich.

Man I'm hungry right now.

It was a good week. I'm having one of those moments when I can't even like....think of anything to write about. What happened this week? A lot. But do I remember? Nope. Not exactly.

Oh I know!
So, once upon a time, we were driving back from a lesson in a member's car, when she says, "Um...is it okay if we stop and get gas?"
"Yeah, that's fine."
"Oh, good. Because I don't know how much longer we'll last."
"....huh?"
As soon as she entered the gas station, boom. Out of gas. Stuck. Right in the entrance.
"Don't worry!" said Sister L as she nearly lept out of the mini van, "We'll push it!"
It's a mini van.
This woman delivers magazines for her job, so it's PACKED with boxes and boxes of magazines.
And.....I'm me.
In summary, I'm sitting there thinking, 'Sister L, does it LOOK like I can push this car?'
But I got out, and Sister L and I pushed!
"Are you pushing?" she asked.
"Yes! Aren't you?"
"Yes!"
"Then why isn't it moving?" I asked, even though I basically already knew the answer.
Thirty more seconds of pushing, and finally the member in the driver's seat got out, laughed, and said, "Just stop."
Thankfully, three random strangers had already pulled over and pushed the car to the tank for us.
I stood behind and said, "Yeah....you're um.....you're doing great...."

I blame the magazines.

Anyway. So now to our young adult investigator and her friend.

We were sitting in our lesson with these two, when the following conversation came up:
First one: "We've just become so passionate about this religion! We went on a hike with all the seniors, and we were telling our Priest all about it."
Second one: "Yeah! We were all like, 'Father!' and we'd tell him all these cool stories about this religion!"
First one: "Then he got super confused and was all like, 'Are you trying to convert a Priest?'"
Second one: "So we said, 'Noooo.....we're just telling you what makes us happy!' We totally want you guys to teach him."
First one: "And our teachers, but they're nuns."
Second one: "Think a priest has ever joined the church?"
Me: "Well I know my dad was studying to be one when he joined...."
Second one: "So it DOES happen! And good thing, too. Else you wouldn't be here."
Me: "....Yeah!"

Our other investigator's lessons are getting better and better! He has begun to look at apartments to move into and hasn't drunk coffee since we introduced the Word of Wisdom to him! AND his speech has slowed down, miraculously!

....butifiwerestilltotypeouthowhetalkeditwouldtotallystillsound/looklikethisonlyalittleslower.

But I can at least understand him on the phone now.

He came to church, too! He walked in in a nice, blue button-up shirt and blue tie with black slacks and said, "How do I look? Is this okay? Is this appropriate to wear? Is this okay to wear?"
"You look perfect!" we reassured him.
"It's nice to meet you," said a ward member, "Here, let me introduce you to my husband! You can sit by us today!"
Then, after sacrament, the Bishop came up to us and said, "Brother P. just took your investigator to the next class."
"Oh! Awesome, thanks!"
And after church, he walked out with like....three other guys. We just kind of stared at him.
"Wow he's doing a good job and making friends, isn't he?" I said.
"That's good, at least!" said Sister L.
Seriously. Miracle.

Also, I got a haircut.

 
 
Well, I love you all! Thank you for all the love and support all of you show. I'm so grateful to be here in New York! Wish us luck :)

Hurrah for Israel!

Sista' Stimpson

1 comment: