Monday, June 16, 2014

Week of weeks



Well, this week was amazing. Earlier this week, we met with a guy to introduce the Book of Mormon to him.
Little did we know, he was already reading it. He read the introduction, and all of the testimonies, and started First Nephi. We sat there wondering what else was left to introduce, but we went over it anyway, and he told us how it made more sense now.
We neglected, however, to set him with a baptismal date, and Sister L and I were kicking ourselves a bit for doing so.

Then Thursday rolled around, and he called.
"So, I've been reading the Book of Mormon. You know, a lot of people don't believe it's true! They all have different opinions on it." he said.
My heart sunk. He was going to drop us. I was SURE of it.
"But I believe it's true," he said, "And I was just wondering.....like I know we talked about baptism before......when can I get baptized? And what do I need to do beforehand?"
My jaw dropped.
I was literally speechless.
Like, no words were coming out of my mouth.
Sister L quickly grabbed the phone and started talking to him about the process and what we need to do.
My jaw continued to be dropped.
We set him with a specific baptismal date.
"That's right after my birthday!" he said, "That's perfect! Wait - is Sister Stimpson still there?" he asked.
"Uh--YEAH! Sorry. I'm here!"
He said he was going to check with his work to get Sundays off so he can start coming to church.

BEST DAY EVER!


We've seen so many wonderful miracles! Our college-bound investigator went for the weekend to visit her family. She went to church there with them, and beforehand, invited her friend to come to church here in Saratoga.
And the friend showed up! She said she knew exactly where the church was cause she drove there the night before so she could be sure she wouldn't get lost.
"I went to church, but I never got anything out of it. Then I overheard [the investigator] telling her family how she gets stuff out of church when she goes, so I figured I might as well try it!"
She liked it! We gave her a Book of Mormon, some other material, and she said she'd be there with the friend next week.
We've set the investigator with a date for baptism.


BEST DAY EVER!

So then later we were having a lesson with a less-active member, when all of the sudden he says, "Which one of you plays the clarinet or flute?"
"Um....I play the flute?" I said.
He runs out of the room, and comes back and hands me a flute.
"I was cleaning out the basement of this building" (he's the janitor of his apartment complex) "and I found this! This is a flute, right? Not a clarinet? I have NO idea where it came from or whose it is, so you can have it!"
"What? Really? OH MY GOODNESS! THANK YOU THANK YOU!"
So I start freaking out, and then his son insisted that I play it. So I open it.

.....it's very.....loved. And old.

So I put it together, excitement filling me that I have FINALLY been reunited with this beautiful, beautiful instrument that I find that I have been missing. I put my mouth to it to play and.......
Nothing.
Not a single sound.
Everyone stares at me.
"Um..."
"TRY HARDER!" insisted the son.
"I.....okay....."
So I try again, to the point where I'm getting light headed, and finally get the most painful, ear-piercing B flat I have EVER heard. I cringe and put it down and said, "Yeah I think it needs to be fixed a little.....but thank you so much!"
"Will you play it at church?"
"Um....."
I look at the keys. The pads are in OBVIOUS need of replacing. Like...I can see the leaks in them.
".....after it gets fixed!"
Basically it wasn't as sweet of a reunion as I imagined. BUT STILL! It was awesome.
But I can play a C on it just fine, because those are the only two pads that don't need replacing!

Anyway. Life's been busy, but life's been good. Transfer calls this Saturday. Everyone seems to be convinced I'm leaving, except myself. I could very easily stay a fifth transfer! It happened in Owego!
But people are already saying goodbye to me and I'm like hey....none of that. So it will be interesting!

Love you all!

Hurrah for Israel!

Sista' Stimpson

No comments:

Post a Comment