Monday, March 31, 2014

ten months????? how did this happen??


But like....seriously. I can NOT believe I have been out ten months! Time is WARPED on a mission! Didn't I just get here?

I can honestly say I have learned a LOT on my mission! I have learned the importance of charity and love, and how we are all of God's children and how important it is to love one another. I have learned the importance of humility in one's life and seen the difference it can make and the joy it can bring. I have seen how the Savior, Jesus Christ, and his teachings can completely change people's lives for the better, and how much joy this gospel can bring! And I know, without a doubt, that this is Christ's true gospel here on earth.

I've also learned that I really, REALLY like avocados.

We had the awesome experience to go to Skidmore College - the local college here in Saratoga! There is a class on Mormonism and the professor asked us to come in and speak about missionary work.

First of all it was blasted weird being back on a college campus. I was standing there thinking, "Ah man.....where's my backpack? What time is it? Am I late for class?"
Don't worry. We were on time to the class.

Second of all, IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! There were only about 10 kids in the class, and they all just took turns asking questions about missionary life. We explained a little bit about how we are called by the Prophet to go to a specific area, how it's organized, and how we don't get to choose who our companion is. We also talked about how we can't go on the computer, watch TV, etc. One girl asked, "So, I know you can't get on the internet or anything, but like....do you have any guilty pleasures? Like, do you just sneak onto a website or something?"
Sister H and I kind of looked at each other. My first thought was,  "Guilty pleasures? Well I secretly really, really like this really, really cheesy church film from the 80's. That is most definitely a guilty pleasure." But I wasn't about to go into that, so I said, "Well...sometimes when I pass newspaper stands I walk extra slow to see if I can read the headline and get a clue as to what's going on in the world. And one time a less active member left their TV on in the other room so I walked by slowly to see what was on the news. And my lowest of low moments are when I catch myself reading the headlines on the paparazzi magazines to see what's going on in the world."
"Oh, well we can update you on that!" responded the girl, "They still haven't found the airplane in Malaysia."
"HOW DOES ONE LOSE AN AIRPLANE?!" I replied.
Don't worry. My friend updated me on that tidbit of news in a letter. Didn't go crazy and buy a newspaper.
I guess that's good that that's really my only guilty pleasure? I was NOT about to confess that I like the cheesy church film from the 80's.

One asked if our perspectives of life have changed since we've come on a mission.
UM. YES. I explained how I used to be a people hater. And how I'm still trying to overcome being a people hater. But I hate people a LOT less and love them a LOT more!

Another student asked what our biggest culture shock was. My response?
"Oh my goodness. My first area was so tiny. SO tiny! EVERYONE knew who we were and would talk to us, and I had never even SEEN half the people who knew us!"
"Where was your first area?"
"Owego....if you know where that is...."
"My parents used to live there!"
"I LOVE OWEGO!"


Later, on our way out, I asked the two girls from Washington which area they were from.
"I'm from downtown Seattle," said one, "and she's from a suburb just outside of it."
"Yeah, it's called Kent."
"AAAAAAAH THAT'S WHERE MY SISTER LIVES!"
"Wow. I've never seen anyone get so excited about Kent before."

So, we're just going to fast forward to Saturday, because I really can't remember the rest of the week. The days blur together, that's for sure.

Saturday morning comes, and we're doing companionship study. . . .when our phone rings. Sister H and I froze. We don't get transfer calls until later in the day, so when you get a call in the morning....that means it's President Wirthlin.
And that means he's calling you to a leadership position, or to train.
We grabbed the phone. Sure enough - It's President Wirthlin.
"Hello, this is Sister Stimpson!"
"Goodmorning, Sister Stimpson! How are you?"
"I'm a little curious! How are you?"
"I'm good! Well.....all I can tell you is that you're getting a new companion - Sister L."
"I LOVE SISTER L!"
Sister L came out with me and was in my MTC district! She was my friend's RA her freshman year of college, and we actually ran into each other on campus a few times and had some conversations! WHO KNEW WE WOULD BE COMPANIONS?????
Well okay, the Lord did. But other than that....
"Sister H will have to wait until the zone leaders call to find out where she's going, but I am calling you and Sister L to be Sister Training Leaders."
"OKAY!"
"We'll contact you in a few days for some more training, okay?"
"Sounds good!"

So.....yup! We're going to be sister training leaders for the Albany Zone! This means we'll be going on exchanges with sisters, and doing training at zone conferences! Woot! Guess I'll find out more of what my job is on Friday. Fun fact: Wednesday we will be spending all day in Utica, Thursday we go back to Utica with the Zone leaders, we'll be there all day Friday....and then it's conference!
It's going to be a busy week.


I'm so excited for this next transfer! There will definitely be a lot of changes, but it will be interesting to see the adventures these next six weeks brings!

I love you all so much!
Hurrah for Israel!
Sista' Stimpson.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment